Disaster averted, hopefully
Last night I was happily making progress on Vogue 8379 and not one, but two disasters struck.
First, I was clipping the seam allowance 0n the neck facing and cut a v-shaped hole in the front of my bodice. *sniff sniff*
Then to rub salt on the gaping wound, the stupid #$%$^*^%$# facings wouldn’t stay put when I tried on the bodice. I had heard tales on PatternReview many times before of the faceless facings flopping in mute mutiny. Did I listen to these tales of woe from more experienced sewists than me? Did I give in to my misgivings regarding these $#*&$#*&% facings?
No, as a true 4 (sorry to interject numerology here, but my friend Cayce has determined that I am the epitome of a 4, doomed to face a lifetime of having process beaten into me — sounds like fun doesn’t it?), I stolidly carried on, faithful to the Vogue instructions, stubbornly disbelieving all those who have walked before me. They must have sewed the facings on wrong somehow. Why else would Vogue have you put facings on these dresses? Right?
And to make matters even worse, Vogue tells you to interface the facings. In my heart of hearts, I knew this to be wrong. But did I heed my heart’s warnings? Did I listen to the reviewers on PatternReview? No, because Vogue is God. OMG!!!!!! Those facings were stiff as a board (note: I did use a fusible knit facing). And my facings didn’t want to be hidden inside the bodice of my dress. They wanted to “face” the world dammit. Whether I wanted them to or not. Even despite my meticulous understitching.
So I thought I could take off the offensive facings and finish the bodice edges differently. I sat on my couch with my friendly neighborhood seam ripper and commenced to unpluck stitches. After an hour of studious and hard work, I had managed to undo less than one inch of the understitching. The UNDERSTITCHING mind you! Not even the actually seam stitching.
I was ready to run out and throw myself under a bus to Kashi’s at Metro Textile today and buy more fabric and start all over. And then Thea, my teacher, talked me off the roof told me how I could bring this project back from the dead the UFO pile. She said to cut the facing off as close to the seam line as possible and attach a binding instead, possibly in a contrasting color as a design element. And if I compromised the size of the front bodice, I could add some width with the binding. GENIUS!!!! This is why Thea gets paid the big bucks! 😉
Needless to say, I did not run out to Kashi’s and I will attempt this fix tonight. Oh and I will use fusible interfacing to fix the snip in the front as invisibly as possible. Phew!!!
Despite these major setbacks, I am loving this dress and this fabric. It’s a dream to work with (when you don’t deal with #$(*#%&*%^ interfaced facings).
Happy non-disastrous sewing to you all.