Getting ahead of one’s self
Oh boy. In my excitement after Day 2 of my draping class, I started working on the “simple” draped knit top. In my head it seemed pretty easy. It’s just some shoulder seams and side seams with a little drape in the front neckline. How hard could be that be?
I’m sure it’s easy for someone who’s been draping for eons. But as I started pinning my fabric to the dress form, it quickly became apparent that I didn’t know what the heck I was doing. Yep, I’m clueless. But I’m also smart enough to have realized as I pinned that I don’t know enough to drape anything without more experience or knowledge.
I started pinning at the shoulders and then at the side seams, adding in the front neckline drape and trying to remove the ease from the torso as I went. But as I pulled in the side seams, I was creating unintended darts. The fabric was twisting. I knew something was going wrong. I knew I should quit right there and not even try to go further.
I don’t want to cut into my fabric not knowing how it would turn out but also knowing that it had a pretty good chance of becoming a wadder.
So this is where it stands right now.
I have learned some valuable information through this ill-advised experiment. First, this fabric doesn’t drape enough for the style I envisioned it becoming. Second, I don’t know much about draping. And third, I should probably finish my draping class before I get ahead of myself. Not bad for about 10 minutes work. I sure am glad I didn’t cut in to my fabric.
In other dress form news: I added padding to my bra and my dress form’s bust now more closely mimics my own and the bust apex is working as a bust apex should. The darts on the bodices I draped on Monday are now terminating right at the apex as marked and not above it. Yeah!!! Oh, and I moved the waist about 1/3 of an inch down; it was a little too high. But I think I need to add more padding to the butt now (on the dress form, not on me).
Can’t wait for my next class!