I think I’m on the right track, but if I make another version of this dress, further changes will be made.
Here’s where I stand with NL 6022 at 1:18am ET.
I’d show you the back view, but that photo was crap and I am too tired to set up the camera again.
Things I like:
- I like this dress in a drapey fabric like silk
- The underlining feels absolutely luxurious
- I love the french seams for the shoulders and side seams
- I think I did pretty well with the pattern placement, no fig leaves or pasties in sight!
Things I don’t like:
- While I got a pretty good fit on this version as well, I am not sure it’s the most flattering look for me.
- I had to take in the side seams after I finished the french seams, so now the french seams are like a double wide.
- I don’t like the elastic on the silk twill, it looks too casual. Not sure how I am going to deal with the sleeves yet.
- I tried the “press under the seam allowances and stitch them” method for the CB seam and I think it looks becky homecky. I should have just used a french seam there too. Live and learn.
Things I will do different next time (if there is a next time):
- Use a small half belt where the elastic goes on the back to pull it in or maybe put some pleats there
- Use a tab on the sleeves instead of the elastic again
I wanted to get this dress to a point where I could try it on tonight. I still have the sleeves and the hem to do. But that will have to wait till tomorrow.
- Should I redo the french seams for the side seams?
- What do you think of this version?