Skip to content

Knockoff: RTW Nightgown

2014 February 28
by elizabeth_admin

A week or so ago, I undertook my second attempt ever to copy an existing garment.  Not just a design  knockoff, but to literally copy a garment in my possession.  A lot of you readers might say to yourself, “Big deal, I do that all the time.”  Well, I don’t do that all the time.  I had a lot of questions.  I thought about all the ways it could go wrong.

IMG_7999

 

Starting with the garment in question this time, an old knit nightgown of my mother’s.  This nightgown is old.  It’s been worn and washed uncountable times.  When I tried to trace off a pattern from it, I could see that it either wasn’t cut and sewn on grain, or it had warped out of shape so much from wear and washing.  It was really difficult to get a “read” on the cut of this garment.  Also, there was gathering on the bodice front and raglan sleeves.  Since I wasn’t going to take apart my mother’s existing nightgown to make a pattern, I had to guesstimate the amount fabric for the gathering on both the front pattern piece and on the raglan sleeve pattern.  I traced the front, the back and the sleeves.  I opted not to include the keyhole opening on the front bodice to simplify things just a bit.

securedownload

 

slide.001-001

 

I sewed up a muslin in a knit from the stash that I just knew wasn’t worthy of real garment status.  It just reeked of pilling potential.  It had a cute print, but I didn’t trust it to last more than a couple of washes.  In my muslin process, I discovered that I forgotten to true up my side seams and my hems.  I slapdashed those up to a modicum of evenness.  I slavishly copied the neck binding treatment from the original garment, but it seemed bulky and unnecessarily complicated.  It was an inside and outside binding sewn together with two fronts and one back.  A lot of seams, bulk and work for a little nightgown.  I consulted my friend Beth from Sunnygal Studio and she agreed that I could do it more simply and pointed me to this video tutorial on Threads which I used for my final neck treatment.

IMG_7934

 

IMG_7995

Muslin neckline: I just freehand drafted this binding. It’s not at all even, but it’s just a muslin.

 

IMG_7990

Final version neck binding

 

For the final version of the nightgown, I chose a knit I’ve had in my stash almost from the beginning of my sewing career.  I bought it specially for my Mom, always intending to make her PJ’s out of it, from Fabric.com probably about 6 years ago.  It has a beautiful hand, silky and substantial.  It’s a pinkish peach background with a taupe geometric pattern, colors that my Mom has worn a lot.  I remember buying at least four yards, because I was going to make some PJ’s for myself as well. which I just might do tomorrow.  😉

The muslin fit was ok, if a bit wide in the neckline.  I had forgotten to gather the raglan sleeves and I probably didn’t gather the  front neckline enough.  I didn’t stretch the neck binding as I sewed it, so it is a bit unstable.

IMG_7930

 

Today, I trued up the side seams and hem on the paper pattern, then I cut out and sewed up my mom’s nightgown.  It probably took me about 3.5-4 hours total from cutting to hemming.   I didn’t add lace to the sleeves, nor did I add the keyhole, as I mentioned earlier.  The neck binding worked like a charm and is very stable.

IMG_7989

 

IMG_7987

 

IMG_7985

 

I coverstitched the hem and just folded over the edges of the raglan sleeves and stitched them on my Featherweight.  They aren’t fitted sleeves, so I just used a longer stitch length.

IMG_7994

 

IMG_7993

 

My mom really loves her new nightgowns (she even wants the dodgy muslin!).  I’m so glad that I have the ability to replicate well-loved garments.  It was fun figuring out how to make this nightgown; kind of like a puzzle or a mystery.  I really enjoyed the process, even if it took some thinking and help along the way.  It was awesome to use up some deep stash too.  I can’t believe I actually kept to the original plan for the fabric.  Awesome!

Here are the original, muslin and final versions side by side for comparison.

IMG_8001

 

Happy sewing everyone!

9 Responses leave one →
  1. February 28, 2014

    What a lot of work. Clearly your Mum is very special !

    They look very special, I really like the pink/red version.

  2. February 28, 2014

    This came out so lovely! I’ve also thought about doing a rub-off some day, but I’ve never worked up the courage to go for it. (Also, I have *way* too many patterns in my to-make pile that suck me in instead. 😉 )

  3. February 28, 2014

    wow, look at how similar your versions are. I bet your mom will really enjoy them!

  4. February 28, 2014

    congrats, great result. I bet you will now be eyeing your closet for other potential copies 🙂

  5. Rosie permalink
    February 28, 2014

    Great job! Love them and they look so comfy!

  6. February 28, 2014

    Lucky mother! And now you have the pattern you can make more!

  7. February 28, 2014

    Nice!

  8. March 2, 2014

    You did a great job. I can understand why your mom is thrilled. I like the muslin too. Copying a knit garment with gathers would intimidate me.

  9. Meredith permalink
    March 4, 2014

    It turned out fantastic and looks really comfy too.

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

  • Follow SEWN...
  • My Weapons of Mass Construction

    Singer Featherweight 221 (1938)
    Baby Lock Imagine
    Brother 2340CV
    Husqvarna Viking Emerald 183
    RIP: Brother 1034D
  • Translation


  • I’m a proud member of




  • I support

    Project 95
  • Archives

  • Categories

  • The Trench Sew Along