Lone dissenter and other thoughts
I haven’t sewn a stitch since NL 6022, but I have cleaned my sewing area, organized my next project, pretreated the fabric for the project after that and added some more projects to the queue. I am definitely going to make another version of NL 6022. This time with fabric from FabricMart, a silk twill. I think the fabric will jazz up this pattern to make it more work appropriate than the simple cotton with which my first version was made.
My sister asked me about the necklace I made for her yesterday. She wanted to know if it would be easy to make as teacher’s gifts. I thought she was asking me to make them, but what she was really asking is if her kids could make them. So we brainstormed today and she’s going to use ribbon and beads so that her kids can actually make them. BUT, it gave me the idea to make them for Jack’s teachers! So that’s next up on the short list. Obviously the short list is a very malleable thing. But then, that’s why it’s short!
Here are some other things on my mind, in no particular order:
- Am I the only one getting a little sick of the me-made-month madness that seems to be spreading throughout the sewing blogosphere? I find I get a little bored of outfit pictures every day for a month. I like to read about sewing, not outfits. But maybe I’m the only one who thinks that. It was interesting the first time around, but now the idea is a bit fatigued for me.
- I am considering getting the Brother 2340CV coverstitch machine after Katie’s rave review of it the other day. I am just not satisfied with the twin needle sewing on knits.
- I tried on my B5147 silk twill dress today and it fits fine (in fact, I am wearing it at work today). Huh??? Remember the tweed version disaster? That was all kinds of wrong. So I dug it out of the bin of doom and tried it on too to see if I had been wrong before. Nope, still a disaster in the bust area. Here’s my new theory on what went wrong: I think somehow, I marked the bust dart and fisheye darts to high, by almost 1.5 or 2 inches because they are just too high. The rest of the dress fits fine, so I must have made an error in my marking. I am not going to fix that version however, because I topstitched the heck out of that dress for a more casual and sport look and it is absolute hell ripping out stitches from tweed. It’s a wadder.
- However, that renews my love for B5147 and another sheath dress might make it onto the short list because of that now.
Ok, that’s all I have right now. Happy sewing!