Pattern Alterations and Confession
When Jeanette stayed with me for PR Weekend last week, she helped me fit the B5454 dress. I had made a straight out of the envelope size 14. It was ginormous and not flattering at all. But I really wanted it to work for me, because I have a number of border prints that I would love to have made up as wrap dresses.
- Start at least 1 size smaller, sz 12. Jeanette thought 2 sizes smaller, but I decided to err on the larger side and take in the side seams if need be.
- Change the skirt pleats of doom into darts of happiness.
- The pleats were 4 inches wide which is too wide for a dart IMHO. I made a 3 inch dart and took out an inch from the side seam starting at the sz 12 tapering to nothing at the lengthen/shorten line using my french curve
- Added 2 inches to the skirt length
- Tapered the bodice side seam from size 12 at the armscye to size 10 at the waist
- Enlarge the shoulder pleat to remove some of the length from the shoulder seam. This will kill two birds with one stone. I will have larger pleats and therefore more room for the girls, and it will place the sleeve seam at the right point of my shoulder.
Here’s what some of the changes look like in action. The original pattern piece is below my tracing with changes.
Confession time, because y’all know how much I like to tattle on myself. Bless my heart!
Originally, Jack and I were supposed to go away this weekend to visit Cidell. Well, that didn’t happen as I thought it was best we stay put in the city for the next little while. So, Jack and I were left with no plans for the long weekend. I thought I would get some major sewing time in. Did that happen???? NO! Why you ask? Well, our long weekend just filled itself up. We were busy from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon. We were so busy that both Jack and I were yawning by 4pm each day. I was exhausted. The only sewing related activity I did this weekend was tracing my alterations. That’s it! Being outside all day every day with an almost 5-year-old is quite a work out. I guess the majority of my sewing this summer will be on weeknights because the little boy who lives with me just plum wears me out!
Hope you were able to get some sewing time in this past weekend.