I made some good progress on my first iteration of Butterick 5147 this week. I cut into the stretch cotton chambray and started sewing it. Since I noticed that the neck was looking a little on the gapey side, I basted the side seams to check the fit of the dress. Intellectually, I know that different fabrics will behave differently with the same pattern, but the reality of it still annoys me a little bit. I would like one thing in life to be a little predictable please!
I remembered to make the left hip side seam a little straighter on the curve having used tracing paper to copy both seam lines (the straighter for the left side and the curvier for the right side) on my muslin pattern piece. That side fit perfectly. Yeah! But, surprisingly, I needed to reduce the right side as well. Go figure. I guess this stretch woven needed a little negative ease for this pattern. Live and learn I guess.
Trying it on, I was pleasantly surprised with how this dress looks. It looks just like a real dress! It always seems like a miracle when something I sew actually looks like it’s supposed to look. So funny. I just don’t trust my skills yet. And there’s something about the process where it’s hard to see the forest for the trees. You’re concentrating on this tiny detail like the bust dart and worry that it’s too pointy, and then you try it on and the whole is more than the parts. A minor miracle. I love it!
See for yourself; some in progress shots of the as yet unfinished dress (again fuzzy pictures — stupid camera)…
I still have to do the following before I can wear this dress to work:
- sew the back seam of the lining
- attach the lining to the zipper
- hem the lining and the dress (not sure if I am going to hem the dress by hand or not)
I am pleased with the fit of the dress, aside from the neck gaping issues which cannot be helped at this stage of the game. I have minimal drag lines at the bust. And the dress is comfortable to wear and sit in; so the ease is spot on. It wears very differently than the muslin though, in a good way.
I am dying to try this pattern in a regular woven next. But I think I need remedial lessons on cutting on grain. I am booking Thea pronto. I tried so hard to cut the lining on grain and thought I was successful, but in working with this dress, it became immediately apparent that I did not cut it on grain. *sigh* Of all the different tasks one has to do to sew a garment, finding the straight of grain is my least favorite and most time-consuming task. *double sigh*
Happy sewing everyone!