Something new to show, but not sewn
Yeah… I didn’t salvage that tank dress. It’s still laying wadded up in some dark corner. But I have made something recently. Since I started this blog many years ago, I have always stated that someday I would get back to making mosaics. But I never did. But I’ve been toying around with the idea of making them again and finally just got out my mosaic making tools and stuff out of the moving boxes in the garage. I thought I would maybe do a small project with Jack’s class, but I think it might be too unwieldy a project for them. I don’t know. I still might come up with a workable project for them. We’ll see.
But since I had everything out, I thought I may as well make something. I had a wooden trivet base and tons of plates, so I made picassiette trivet. Boy was I rusty! I used the wrong tile cutters for the project, the spacing is a little on the large side, and my alignment isn’t perfect, but it turned out ok I think. It’s my first project after a seven year hiatus. Give me a break!
Without further ado, here it is…
For scale reference, this is about a 7.5 inch plate on a 10 inch wooden base. Jack helped me glue down the middle pieces. You can’t see it in the photo, but I added a bit of deliberate “wabi sabi” to my piece by using one slightly greenish yellow tile for the side when I ran out of the yellow tiles. A slight imperfection for my “broken” plate piece.
Not sure what my next project will be. Sewing or otherwise. Still in a little creative rut.