The Sewing Room Beautification Project (SRBP) is complete! I finished the first sewing machine cover last weekend and then it took me all week to work up the courage to be bored by the last two covers, which I did yesterday in two hours. I can’t believe I procrastinated an entire week for just two hours?! Oh the humanity!
Well, on to the dets. Basically, I measured each machine and cut out three rectangles for each cover based on those measurements. The largest rectangle covers the back, top and front of the machine and two smaller rectangles are the sides. I sewed each side to the large rectangle cutting a slit in the seam allowance into the large rectangle whenever I had to pivot at the corners of the cover. Before sewing, I fused fusible fleece to each piece to stiffen the entire cover. Then, I fused and sewed a grosgrain ribbon down the center of the large rectangles for the trim using a long stitch and white topstitching thread and needle.
Here’s my sample topstitching.
Et voilá, custom sewing machine covers to match my decor and hide the machines in front of the big picture window. The picture window is now picturesque. Of course, there is the other practical benefit that my machines will be less dusty from now on as well.
Hmmm… Now that I see this exterior picture, I think I need to rearrange the placement of my machines so that the drawer doohickey is either on the far left or the far right so that it is hidden by the curtains. It’s not that photogenic from behind. But that’s an easy fix.
I’m pretty excited that this project is now complete as it was weighing on me for a while. And now I can concentrate on fun sewing, like selfishly making something for myself. Yeah!
Happy non-home dec and selfish sewing!