Sweet success and nanny approved
Do you smell that? It’s the smell of my sweet success! I cut a new muslin of New Look 6022 last night and, after some fitting changes, I love it!
Here’s what I changed to get the loose floaty look the dress is drafted to have (see above):
- Cut a sz 12 in the shoulders through the armscye and cut sz 12 sleeves
- Cut a sz 16 in the width of the dress from the bottom of the armscye all the way down.
I wish I had thought to take a picture at this point, but I didn’t. Once I basted it together, I checked the fit. I was able to slip it on no problem. Tons of ease. No granny underwear mishaps occurred. 😉 However, it was too big and needed some shaping.
So here’s what I did next to fit the dress to my liking:
- I pinned out some of the ease at the side seams (about 1 inch) from the bottom of the armscye to about 5 inches below and then tapering to the original seam at 9 inches below on both sides. I really liked that silhouette.
- Then I noticed that the elastic gathering on the back needed to be lower (about 1.25 inches to the lengthen/shorten line) to follow the curve of my spine better. Ahh, much nicer.
- Once I moved the elastic lower, I noticed the back upper bodice was a little too baggy, so I took in the center back seam about 1/4 inch on both sides tapering down to the elastic. That’s better!
In the end, I probably sized down from a sz 16 to sz12, which actually is a little puzzling to me. The difference between the sz 10 and sz 12 is not that much on the pattern sheet. The sz 10 was a sausage casing on me, but my 2nd muslin, which is probably a sz 12 with a titch added, is so much more roomier. Go figure!
Now, to the photographic evidence!
Notes to self for the final make:
- I think I can still slip this on with the CB seam completely sewn up to the top of the bodice, so I might try that on the muslin tonight to check my hypothesis.
- I like the fact that this dress is so unfitted and loose while still skimming the curves. I won’t have to worry about losing or gaining 5 lbs every so often and then not being able to wear it. Just like Myrna, I am frustrated with my constantly fluctuating weight which drastically changes my ability to wear fitted things. Even just 5 lbs makes a significant difference, as I found out with my B5147 dresses.
- The unhemmed muslin is actually where I would like my dress to end, right at the knee, so I will add 1 1/4 inches to the bottom of the pattern pieces so I can have a hem.
- Originally I was going to make this up in an eyelet fabric with a cotton batiste underlining it, but I don’t think this pattern is right for that fabric combo at all. I think the eyelet cotton has too much body for the style of this dress and would be too “fattening.” This dress needs a drapier fabric. So I am pretreating some lt wt cottons today so I can cut one tonight. I think it will be this cotton print that I picked up at Jomar’s at the PR Philly Weekend last year.
I tried on my muslin for the nanny this morning because I needed an unbiased opinion on this loose fitting dress style on me, and she liked it. I’m excited to make a summery and comfy dress!