The Cutest Scottie Puppy Ever
Last Thursday was Jack’s stage debut as Scottie Puppy #2. He had one line and a trio. He surprised me in March when he came home from school one day, took out a permission slip/info paper for the play, and declared that he wanted to audition for the play. Really surprised me. He is not a really shy person, nor is he a really outgoing person either. He doesn’t look for the limelight. So, with pleasure, this ex-opera singer signed him up with pride. I took him to his “audition”. I didn’t think to prepare him for the process as I had been informed it wasn’t really an audition in that everyone was guaranteed a part. I didn’t think to help him prepare a song to sing or a monologue to recite. It turns out that I didn’t need to because the kindergarteners weren’t required to read for their parts. But more importantly Jack had already figured out what he was going to sing all on his own, Soul Sister by Train. When it was his turn to sing, he stood right up and stated that he was going to sing Soul Sister, and then launched into singing two or three lines of the song. He ended his audition saying, “That’s all I know” and sat right back down. It began and finished in seconds, too fast for me to bemoan the fact that I hadn’t properly prepared him. Cute and impressive. I was humbled by his inner strength to sing in front of tons of kids and teachers whom he didn’t know. Having endured many an audition in my day, I knew what it took to sing under that kind of pressure. I am constantly surprised by what he can do.
But enough of my proud mama moment, let’s fast forward to the play performance. All the costumes were provided by each child’s parents. Of course, me being me, I made most of Jack’s costume. The Scottie Puppies were supposed to wear plaid pants or skirts, a black or grey t-shirt and a tam. I found some plaid I liked at Yardage town and thought I would make the pants and tam from the same fabric so they would match.
Again I used Dana’s flat front tutorial to make it look more like trousers than the pull up pants they really are. I should have used a larger size, but I was lazy. They are a little more, shall we say, “fitted” than they normally would be.
The tam pattern was more difficult. I couldn’t find a pattern for it. Phyllis said I could easily draft one. So with that challenge, I went for it. I totally just pulled it out of my ass. I do not endorse this method at all. So this is not going to be called a tutorial at all. It’s just how my 3D-challenged brain somehow conjured up a tam-like hat in the end.
- I measured Jacks head for the elastic.
- Cut and sewed black elastic for the “brim” of the tam.
- Pulled a number out of the ether for the diameter of the fabric for the tam and cut out a circle of the plaid fabric for the body of the tam.
- Basted the edges of the tam with silk thread to gather it so it would be slightly larger than the circumference of the elastic brim.
- Sewed the gathering permanently.
- Pinned the fabric to the elastic brim easing the fullness evenly around the brim.
- Made a matching pompom out of some stash yarn. I interfaced the area where I attached the pompom so it wouldn’t flop around as much.
- I interfaced some black doubleknit fabric, folded it and sewed Scottie ear-like shapes on it. Cut them out and hand sewed them to the hat.
Et voilá, a Scottie Pup tam was born.
The play, “101 Dalmatians” by the way, was a smashing success. Jack was too cute on stage. I loved it. And now I’m on to the next thing on my sewing list, the PJ project for a friend. I have to finish it by Monday night so I can pop it into the mail on Tuesday. Here’s a sneak peek…
Happy sewing everyone!