Skip to content

To the Batcave!

2012 May 6
by elizabeth_admin

Last night I went to my first live band concert in ages.  I saw Andrew Bird, a college classmate of mine who’s made it big.  It was a great night.  He played at the Beacon Theatre on the Upper West Side, an absolutely gorgeous theater.  I scored the tickets from a co-worker who couldn’t make it at the last minute.  Gotta love that.  It was a great evening of great music.  I love live music.  Love it.

 

 

And I wore my new top to the concert too.  This time around, I made a few changes to the pattern, Burda 6-2009-109.  Of course.  What seamstress doesn’t tweak a pattern each time she makes it?

The first thing I changed, or tried to, was the neckline shape.  I knew I was going to try to bind the neck with my binding attachment on the coverstitch machine and I also knew it would look better on a rounded neckline.  Unfortunately, I didn’t round it out enough.  I will do better next time.

 

Unintentional change to pattern: I completely forgot to reinforce the shoulder seams in my excitement to have a new top to wear to the concert.  Oops!  I hope it doesn’t have any long-term consequences (emphasis on the long).

I left off the sleeve cuffs and just fray-checked the seam ends.  I wanted to shorten the sleeves a little to make this a more summer-friendly top.  Originally I was going to coverstitch the hems, but when I was pinning I realized that the tapered shape of the sleeves would torque the hem.  Next time I will change the sleeve shape at the end so I can hem them.

 

I used my coverstitch machine to bind the neck edge.  I was really excited about this part.  I wanted to have a very professional neck binding.  On my first version of this top, I sewed on the binding with my sewing machine and while not noticeable to a non-sewer, I notice the many imperfections.  See for yourself.

 

See how uneven that is?  I love the coverstitch binding much better.  Oh and here is the coverstitch hem.

 

Some notes on using the coverstitch:

  • I used Katie’s and Melissa’s tips for using the binding attachment on my coverstitch machine.  I practiced a few times before binding my actual top.  My binding attachment isn’t as fancy as Katie’s as it doesn’t have the “feeder” which keeps the bias strip evenly distributed into the binder.  So I draped my strip on the Featherweight next to my coverstitch machine.  I was a little intimidated to use it in the beginning, but it actually is pretty easy to use.  My best tip is to practice, practice, practice before you attempt it on your garment.
  • I have already used my coverstitch for hems before with no problems.  This fabric though (a burnout knit from Mood Fabrics) was a little on the thin side and curled over itself if you so much as a glanced at it.  So there were spots where the coverstitch stitches didn’t catch the hem allowance.  I just hand tacked those areas rather then ripping out a a coverstitch hem and doing it over.  Some things are worth doing over and others are not.  This was one of those times it was not.  It’s a casual top, not a ball gown.

But enough wordy wordy stuff.  Here’s how it looked on in an infamous bathroom shot.

 

I knew when I bought this fabric that it was destined for a top like this.  I just love it.

Happy coverstitching everyone!

9 Responses leave one →
  1. May 6, 2012

    Great top – I love that fabric. Oh, the sweet taste of success!

  2. May 6, 2012

    I love this top (I’ve made it too) and the fact that it can be dressy or casual- same style different fabrics = different looks. Gorgeous fabric you used this time.

  3. May 6, 2012

    Gorgeous! I love this! It really looks nice.

    I love the Beacon! Such a great place to see a show.

  4. May 6, 2012

    The Beacon Theatre is gorgeous! I saw the Magnetic Fields there a month or so ago.

    Your coverstitching looks beautiful!

  5. May 6, 2012

    I am in awe of anyone who choses to sew knit tops, much less use a coverstitch machine! It’s so pretty, love the color!

  6. May 7, 2012

    Nice! Love the fabric and the cut of the top. And the coverstitching looks great!

  7. May 7, 2012

    What a beautiful theater!

    I really like the top. I bought the same coverstitch machine as you did, but I didn’t buy any of the binder attachments. I’m still new at its use so I’m not sure if I’m struggling because of the newness or because the binder attachment would make it all easier. I have had the same issue with tighter curves (since I’ve mostly been making tops for my daughters) and it’s good to know that the binder wouldn’t fix that particular issue, though truthfully, it doesn’t bother me much and the girls not at all.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

  1. PR weekend wrap up and Mood Fabrics focus group | SEWN
  2. The Carnegie Hall Knit Top | SEWN

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

  • Follow SEWN...
  • My Weapons of Mass Construction

    Brother 2340CV
    Singer Featherweight 221 (1938)
    Brother 1034D
    Husqvarna Viking Emerald 183
  • Translation


  • I’m a proud member of




  • I support

    Project 95
  • Archives

  • Categories

  • The Trench Sew Along

  • Tags