Remember my short list? No? Me neither. Let’s refresh our memory, shall we?
- Jack’s Curtains DESIGNED BUT ON HIATUS
- Katie’s Birthday Dress COMPLETED
- Thor’s seersucker pants PATTERN AND FABRIC IN HAND, JUST NEED TO START IT
- My S2614 blouse LYING IN A BOX COMPLETELY IGNORED
- A navy suit NARY A THOUGHT GIVEN TO THIS PROJECT YET
So, here’s my new list:
- Thor’s seersucker pants (asap!)
- 3 bibs for a friend’s friend (asap!)
- S2614 blouse (I will get to you my friend, I promise!)
- 2 dresses for my nieces in Wisconsin (patterns undetermined, but fabric bought in Chicago)
- PJ’s for Jack (his bday is coming up and he did pick out that Thomas the Train fabric way back)
- Easy breezy summer linen pants (V8584 picked out and need to purchase the linen)
- More dresses for ME, ME, ME!!!
Which leads me to the following thoughts re: wardrobe planning…
My recent knit dress frenzy has prompted me to rethink my sewing strategy and reminded me of my first clothing love, dresses! Remember my post about my personal style? I love dresses. Last week, I think all I wore was dresses. This week, I wore mostly suits. Suits and dresses are easy for me. I don’t have to think about coordinating too much. There aren’t agonizing decisions to be made when all you’re wearing is one piece. Love that! Dresses are quick to make, especially knit ones. If you choose a loose style like a shift dress, even the woven ones are easy and relatively quick. Not only that, but with each dress you increase your wardrobe by one whole outfit. If you make a skirt, you increase your wardrobe by only half or a third of an outfit because you need other pieces to make the outfit whole.
Did you notice that I took the navy suit off the list? That’s because suits are not quick and easy. The jackets take a lot of fitting to make and if you want them to look professional, your skill level needs to be good and you can’t really cut any tailoring corners. I don’t think I’m there yet. I think I have a pretty objective view of my sewing skill level and suit jackets are a little bit out of my reach right now. I wouldn’t want to inadvertently insert my sleeve head backwards, now would I?
So, I am going to concentrate on dresses for the time being in terms of my work wardrobe. But I have really been craving some linen pants too, so I am going to try my hand at these too, V8584.
But first, there’s a little boy named Thor who has been patiently waiting for some seersucker pants… 🙂